Search This Blog

Tuesday 26 July 2011

Egg sharing?

Wellity, wellity, wellity (as Homer Simpson once said).

I called the PCT (the people who were keeping me waiting regarding my IVF funding). The man who I spoke to said that my local PCT has merged with 5 others (budget cuts) and gave me a different number to call in a completely different part of London. I called the number several times and it just rang out. I was just so deflated. I am now convinced when they eventually get back to me (if they get back to me) that they will tell me I have to wait. I decided that I am sick of waiting around for NHS letters and calls. I don't want to wait around like a mug dancing to their tune (if I can help it).

Kat- thanks for suggestion to move to Korea for cheaper treatment... seems a bit extreme (though come back to me in a year and I may be desperate to get the f*&k out of this country away from breeding family and friends).

I have been considering egg sharing. There are clinics here in London that will give you free IVF (that's right, free, including drugs, scans, counselling, blood tests and consultations) if you share your eggs.

At first the idea creeped me out. I saw it as selling my eggs (I know this is legal elsewhere in the world, but I am not comfortable with the idea). Also I wasn't sure how I would feel about another woman, essentially carrying and having my child. That was until I looked up egg donation on the internet. There are so many heartbreaking stories out there about women desperate to have a baby but unable to because they have poor quality eggs. Some are too old, some are young and have gone through early menopause, some have had cancer treatment etc etc. Every recipient was grateful for the eggs that were donated to them, it was really rather moving.

The there was the issue of the egg being "my" child. When I think about it, the egg will be fertilised by her partner and then carried and nourished by her. She will give birth and then raise the child. I now think about it in terms of sperm donation. Lots of men think nothing of donating sperm (taken gratefully by women who need it) and I have never had a problem with the idea of donating sperm for these purposes.

I have been thinking this over for a few months. The runaround that I was given by the NHS gave me the final push into the private clinic's direction. I called them last week and things moved quickly.

I went for my initial consultation today. The doctor told me all about the egg sharing programme. The recipient  has no part in the selection of the donor. The donor and recipient are matched according to ethnicity, hair and eye colour (so that the recipient's baby looks like the recipient).

I had an internal scan and blood tests. I have to wait 6 weeks for the results of the blood tests (they test for things like cystic fibrosis which apparently takes a while), so I won't know if I am accepted onto the programme until then. I need to be clear of HIV, Hepatitis etc. They test my AMH levels (rather than FSH and LH) to see what my ovarian reserve is. If it's 11 or above then I will be eligible.

One interesting thing, she asked me why I wanted IVF. I told her that it was because I have been diagnosed with unexplained infertility. When she found out that I only had 1 tube, she said, "Then how is it unexplained infertility?" Very interesting.

4 comments:

  1. That is such a selfless decision to make! And you have helped me realise that it's not just about how we are feeling, but the otherside, the woman who desperately want to be mums as much as you do. Only we have our eggs, so I guess we have that going for us. I'm actually pretty proud of you for taking that first step..

    I hope that your giving will reward you immensely with your own family with little rugrats. Can't wait to read how this all goes..

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a wonderful thing! I have been thinking about egg donation too. Not seriously yet, but your post made want to do it for others like us out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's such a big decision to make. I have to say I did consider it when we thought we would be pursuing treatment in the UK and I was then considered too young to qualify for the NHS.

    I was only joking when I said about coming to Korea! We chose to come back here primarily because we like living here, not for the fertility treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We got pregnant through egg donation after going to a clinic in Spain earlier this year. They do anonymous donation there so we will never get to properly thank her, but we will always be immensely grateful for what she has done for us. It is an amazing gift to be able to give.

    As for whose child he/she is... They were fertilised by my husband's sperm and have been carried by me and loved by us now for such a long time, I can't imagine him/her being anything other than our child.

    Good luck with it. I hope so much for a good result for you guys. x

    ReplyDelete