Search This Blog

Thursday 10 November 2011

Really worried about egg collection

I am a month away from EC and don't even start DR injections till tomorrow, but I am really bricking it about egg collection.

The Assisted Conception Unit (ACU) I go to do EC under sedation but not under general anesthetic. I recently joined the Fertility Friends website (one of my usual forums- Ectopic Trust's boards have been turned off for maintenance for over a week, I am missing my cycle buddies) and noticed a very long post about egg collection. They were discussing whether to have general anesthetic or sedation.

I wish I hadn't read it. Loads of the women said that they wished they had gone for general anesthetic because, despite the fact that they were sedated, they could feel the needle going into their ovaries and it was, as you can imagine, excrutiating. Some said that they went with their husbands who were watching throughout. They said they don't remember feeling anything but their husbands say they flinched throughout the procedure and/or cried out with pain at times.

My ACU don't give you a choice, it has to be sedation. It sounds horrific. I wish I hadn't heard that. Sounds horrid and I hate to think of my husband watching me in pain.

3 comments:

  1. I never got this far, so can't help really. I guess I was relieved at the idea that I wouldn't remember it. So maybe you should tell your husband just to stay out of the room?

    Oh - and I was emailing Izzie (she's a mate) and she said the EPT boards have been hacked and they're trying to get them up again safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a general, I didn't have a choice, and to be honest I'm glad I did. It meant additional tests and things beforehand (because of the anaesthetic) but it was better for me.

    It did take a long time to wake-up, and I nearly fainted about three times on the way from the clinic to a taxi. However once I got home I felt fine. Better than from my transfers where they gave me valium, then I felt woozy and gross all day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was sedated during my egg retrieval. I don't remember a thing about it, but my favorite nurse said I was giggling (I did that when I got my wisdom teeth out). Hopefully you'll have a giggly good time like I did - I'm actually looking forward to the sedation again. :)

    ReplyDelete