Search This Blog

Wednesday 2 November 2011

The world's longest protocol

Nurses appointment today. We were asked to sign some consent forms "do you mind if we use any unfertilised eggs for research purposes," hhhm, OK. "If you die, can we use your embryos for research purposes?" If I do what now?!? They really do plan for every eventuality. Hopefully I won't croak it after EC but before ET for that to happen.

I was also shown how to inject, I say this, I was actually only shown how to draw the medication into the syringe. She told me where to inject but didn't make me do it, "Just grab a lump of fat and plunge the needle in". Nice. Also, what if I do it wrong?!?

I got told a list of side effects that I may encounter as my body is forced into a false menopause, "You may feel nauseous, you may feel very cold or very hot, you may experience cramps in your abdomen." Lovely.

It was at this meeting when I realised I would be down regulating for a lot longer than I thought. I thought it would be 14 days but in actual fact it will be 21 days (not ignoring the fact that I still have 10 days of taking the pill left) so embyro transfer will happen around the 19th Dec which means I will have my 2ww over Christmas. I had hoped to have my test day on 21st Dec, that way if it didn't work I would have been miserable but at least could have a drink (or 30) over the festive period. Now I will not be drinking, wondering if it worked and will have my husband's very nosy family wondering why I am not drinking. They will notice and they will jump to conclusions. I only hope that they turn out to be correct.

2 comments:

  1. psssst - I know a group you might be interested in. E-mail me on sushigirl282@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are tonnes of injection vides on youtube.

    I psyched myself up by remembered that I used to pull of scabs and stuff - it doesn't really hurt any more than that did. My advice is just do it, and it's never as bad as you think its going to be. I started to become kind of fascinated by the whole thing.

    Sorry it's such a long protocol. Fingers crossed it will be more than worth it!

    ReplyDelete