Search This Blog

Thursday 21 July 2011

You just keep me hangin' on

Well, I received a letter a month ago telling me that I am on the IVF waiting list. There was no indication on the letter how long the list is. I called and got told that my local area (Primary Care Trust -PCT) have bought into the services of the hospital where I have been referred and are negotiating a contract- I should call back in 3 weeks to find out what the new terms are and how long the waiting list is for my area. How ridiculously complicated.

So anyway, I called back yesterday and found out that my PCT have changed the criteria for IVF eligibility. The lady at the fertilty unit wouldn't tell me what the new terms are but said that my PCT will contact me soon (but she couldn't say when). What worried me was that she said, "It might be that they will just say you're fine as you are already on the waiting list." She told me to call her back if I hadn't heard from my PCT by 5th September. That's weeeeeeeeeks away.

I then Googled my PCT and found the new criteria. I won't qualify until October 2012 because you need to have had unexplained infertility for 3 years. I will be 31 then. If they had found what is wrong with me I could have it, the sticking point is the "unexplained" bit. The problem is, we are planning on moving next year, to a completely different area (and PCT). The area we move to may not offer IVF on NHS, if they do, we will be put to the bottom of the queue.

I have been in a great mood for days but this has really upset me. I think the reason is that I am so bothered is that not sure what my PCT will say. They may say it's fine, but they may not and I won't know until I hear from them and I don't know when that will be. Until I know I can't move on.

If they say that I can't have it until Oct 2012, I will look into having it done privately, funded by egg sharing. But I can't start the ball rolling with that until I have heard back from my PCT. Maybe I will call them. I am sick of waiting.

3 comments:

  1. This sucks! I hope you get that call soon. Man I hate infertility, unexplained more so.

    ICLW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness. What a terrible situation to be in! You could move to Korea and teach English. My cycle cost me about 2000 pounds. I know this probably isn't an option for you, but if you want info let me know :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear you are being given the run around and living in TTC limbo. Like we dont have enough stress! Whats with the 3yr wait? Are they serious. Do the conditions stipulate "To qualify, you must have cried a shipping container of tears, felt lower than shark poo every mothers day, and pee'd on 59382 HPT's and seen only 1 line"... only then do you qualify? What a load of dogs balls.

    Ive sent you an invite to my private blog! Sorry it took so long!! Im a slacker..
    Cheers, Tee xo
    infertilitee-upthedater.blogspot.com for the link to the private blog..

    ReplyDelete