Search This Blog

Wednesday 6 July 2011

Advice for NHS IVF cyclers # 1.... stay away from discussions on internet forums

I have recently been going onto a discusssion forum. Today one of the posters posted a link to this article http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2011676/IVF-lottery-win-baby-launching-Britain.html.

If you can't be bothered to follow the link, it is a literal lottery to win IVF. You pay £20 to enter, if you win, you get up to £25,000 IVF treatment.

The discussion decsended into whether or not IVF should be available on the NHS. I should not have joined in. I know it's controversial, I know that their ideas will upset me, but I went ahead and joined in. Explaining why I think it should continue to be available on the NHS.

As I was a relative newbie, I got totally lynched. They ganged up and pulled me to pieces. I thought there would be other people on there who agreed with it and perhaps they would join in. Maybe there were, but they were too scared/didn't want to.

I know I asked for it, but they pulled apart every argument I used. They said having babies is a lifestyle choice (it isn't for me at the moment, it is a need and goes way further than lifestyle), they said my arguments were childish and that they were based on what was good for me and not the country. The main poster (who is going through IVF treatment herself- presumably privately) actually told me to "F off".

It sounds daft, maybe I should have thought of better arguments, I definitely should have stayed away, but I feel genuinely upset. Almost like I was bullied. Perhaps I asked for it. I feel really bad.

I have logged out and shan't go back.

4 comments:

  1. As I said on BC, they are harpies who should be ignored.

    My advice, and this is what I do when faced with these kinds of people who bully you, rather than discuss, is just make up a study from some country they know nothing about and say that it proves your point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kat (for this and your BC comment as well). Sometimes the internet can be a nasty place. It's people like you who make this (blogging) all worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can't win an argument against idiots, and clearly, anyone who thinks IVF shouldn't be covered, is an idiot. Infertility, and the desire to have a child, is not a lifestyle choice. Infertility is a disease, for which there needs to be affordable, accessible treatment.

    I'm so sorry you had to deal with those people. Hope you feel better soon, and I'm sure your arguments and ideas were great.

    ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  4. BC in Aus has been the same. It is supposed to be a place of support and I think at times it has made me feel worse, and I was even a Comod! Infertility is a disease. Send them a link to the Resolve website in the US. You shouldn't have to be wealthy to be a mother. And it is not a lifestyle choice, it's a bloody god given right. Grrrrrrrrr! I would have backed you, I'm not scared to stand up for what is right..xo

    ReplyDelete