Search This Blog

Sunday 10 July 2011

Sunglasses to hide the tears, music to block the pain.

This weekend I travelled the 200 mile journey from London where I live to my mum's. Lots of wedding chores this weekend. Arrived at half nine and had a delicious takeaway curry. Went to bed and spent time looking through old photos of the family. Looking at photos of my brother and I when we were little filled me with melancholy. As I flicked through photo after photo of christmases, family holidays and grinning smily children with their whole futures ahead of them I felt bittersweet sorrow. I had a lovely childhood and grew up in a loving home. The little girl in the photo splashing in the pool, unwrapping presents, blowing out cables, being tickled and grinning endlessly will grow up and struggle to have a baby. She may never be able to create memories for a child of her own. I went to bed feeling rather sorrowful.

The next day I had my wedding hair trail, it went really well. My hair looked better than I imagined and my mum loved the bonding. Next was my dress fitting. I bought a vintage wedding dress on eBay a few months ago. It doesn't fit quite right, plus I want embellishments (more petticoats etc). The seamstress was ace. Chatty, confident and totally got the quirky vintage style I was trying to create. Suitably reassured and cheered up no end, I suggested a spot of shopping and lunch.

Off we went, happily browsing and picking up a few bits and bobs here and there. I needed the loo. That's when I realised, horrid nasty old Aunty Flo had arrived totally unexpectedly and she was 2 or 3 days early. Funnily enough I was relieved at first. I mean, at least I won't be on knicker- watch for the next 2 days and constantly poking my boobs to see if they hurt. I felt OK and surprised myself.

On the train back to London was when it hit me. My body has failed me again. It doesn't work. I can't do what so many others find easy. Thoughts of those horrible forum discussions crept in my mind, the things those bitches said - it's not life threatening, giving treatment to people like me causes people who need "more important" treatment to suffer, society hates me. It thinks I don't have a right to a baby. It thinks having a baby is a lifestyle choice.

I plugged myself into my iPod. I cracked up the volume to drown out my thoughts and stared out of the window as tears poured from my eyes - unseen as I was wearing a pair of sunglasses that I had happily purchased only a few hours ago.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry what was a happy weekend got ruined by AF and the memory of those horrible internet people. I don't really have much to say that can make you feel better except that your wedding sounds like a lot of fun and it sounds like it's going to be really stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those sunglasses had no idea of their importance of protecting you when you made that purchase. I love my sunglasses, I can hide the aged sad eyes from ttc. Nothing else has even made me feel so inadequate in my life.

    Right, where do those forum people live!! Remember you can control how people make you feel. Make a decision that you will not let them get to you any longer..!

    And if you want to read my private blog, send me your email address to rpowerranger@hotmail.com and I will invite you!!

    I love reading your blog, I just wish there were more cheers than tears..

    Tee @ infertiliTEE.blogspot.com /
    infertilitee-upthedater.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete