Search This Blog

Tuesday 23 August 2011

OK, slight change of plan

No sooner do I get confirmation of acceptance onto egg sharing scheme, do I get a letter from the NHS inviting me to start preliminary tests for IVF treatment- this essentially means that I can start an NHS funded cycle pretty soon.

I wasn't too sure whether or not to use up my NHS cycle as I had already started the egg share process, but my OH and various other internet IVF cyclers told me I should go for the NHS one if it is available.

I have thought about it, and I think I will go for my NHS cycle. For one thing, if I turn it down, I imagine I will get sent to the bottom of the waiting list should I need it if the egg sharing cycle fails. Also, a lot of people put fear into me about there not being enough eggs to share etc. The main thing is that the whole process is an emotional drain, if I share my eggs, it could make me feel worse (if the recipient falls pregnant and I don't e.g.).

Anyway, the next step for me is to contact the hospital when my AF arrives- due on Monday 29th. I need to have the blood tests again, Mr Vixen will be having another SA.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That's great news! I hope you can start pretty soon after the wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's good. Buuuut - there are some caveats, if you haven't already...

    Check the arrangements about queuing before you go ahead with the NHS cycle - there's a rule here that patients who go private for a bit of their treatment aren't discriminated against, so it may not mean you'll go to the bottom of the queue if your sharing cycle fails.

    It's also worth phoning your clinic to check if getting that letter means a cycle is imminent. Like, how long does it take them to process the tests?

    And check up the booking arrangements before you get on a cycle - our old clinic had the world's worst system that meant you could be technically at the top of the queue but still spend three months actually waiting. And not know each month whether or not you were going to be able to go ahead or not.

    ReplyDelete